Sunday, April 5, 2015

WeWriWa - April 5, 2015 - Missi Wanderin' in the Woods

Welcome back to the blog on this beautiful Easter Sunday! I hope today fills you and yours with the true and miraculous Spirit of the Season, as I pray it does my own family  <3 

When I ponder what to write about, I remember the plights of my past and why I now give you praise. Then I reveal your glory by showing how you’ve worked in my life. 
— Psalm 143:5

Onto my eight sentences from my forthcoming memoir, Missi Wanderin' in the Woods . . .

Almost haughty, the unexpected psychiatrist swept by us leaving a fragrant scent of body odor and spices in her wake. Both of Charlie's knees were bouncing now. “Just be honest,” I whispered as I teetered toward the door she’d left open, obviously for me.

Sitting in the waiting room, I read magazines until I’d read them all. A few people that I recognized but didn’t really know passed me with a wave before attending their appointments and leaving again. Bored, I strode outside for a taste of fresh air before checking the time again. Three hours had gone by without a word from anyone. Villa, the strangler, and his wife passed me with a shy wave, probably for a prenatal appointment. Neither of them smiled much anymore.

Thank you for coming by! Don't forget to head back to the WeWriWa page for more awesome snippets from amazing writers! See you next week to see what happens with Charlie and the psychiatrist!


11 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful Easter wish. Thank you, Sara, and I hope the same for you. :-)

    Is this memoir still in the editing stage? A couple of things jumped out at me when I read it. Might just be me. :-)

    This: "...fragrant scent of body odor..." Fragrant sounds nice, but when I think of body odor, I think of a foul smell.

    And this line: "...I read magazines until I’d read them all." I'd change a "read" to something else. Perhaps, "I worked through the stack of magazines until I'd read them all."

    Your story is definitely intriguing, Sara. I sense a great deal of hardship coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, yes, still so much editing going on:-) I appreciate your finding them, thank you! Hugs and love from Texas <3

      Delete
  2. Hi Sara! Love your lines. Sounds like a place I've been myself with my oldest son. Turns out he was fine, it was the doctors that were messed up. Anyway - I think the weekend Writing Warriors is a cool thing, and I will participate...soon. LOL I have some traveling to take care of, and once I'm back, I will try this out. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! Glad to see you here <3 The messed up doctors will be the theme of our experiences with Army docs so I understand all too well his plight. I wish you safe travels!

      Delete
  3. You are an awesome writer, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charmaine! I can't wait to pop over and check out your eight for today!

      Delete
  4. It's always so hard to wait and I thought you captured the character's state of mind well in this excerpt. Question though: "Villa, the strangler..." A strangler? That threw me but maybe because this is just one tiny snippet of a larger story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Veronica! I moved a section in my final MS to where Villa was already introduced by now. I will introduce him next week <3

      Delete
  5. Sara, just the labels are intriguing enough. To say you've lived through much is an understatement. Blessings on you sweet girl and your writing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me or anyone in the family a comment, we would love to hear from YOU!