Sunday, February 3, 2013

Weekend Writing Warriors

This here is an eight-sentence snippet from A Heart at Home (An Everlasting Heart, #3) set to be released this June from 5 Prince Publishing. :-)



**********************************************************************************


His eyes glued to her every move, Sanderson watched the mama wolf disappear into her den, just as before. A moment later, her gray head reappeared as another soldier galloped over the rise.

Sanderson’s heart leapt into his throat. Don’t run out in front of him, Mama Wolf! He leveled his rifle at the soldier and squeezed the trigger – click. Out of bullets.

Helpless, Sanderson could only watch as the scene before him unfolded as the desperate mother wolf dashed from the safety of her den back to the clump of grass that concealed her pups. For a moment, he thought the soldier hadn’t seen her.
 
*****************************************************************
 

If you liked this snippet, check out A Heart on Hold (Book 1, 5 Prince Publishing, August 2012) and A Heart Broken (Book 2, 5 Prince Publishing, January 2013) in An Everlasting Heart series by clicking here!




To get back to the Weekend Writing Warriors website, click here!

23 comments:

  1. I so want to know what's going on here. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, Sanderson's going to have to get inventive to save those cubs! Great 8, Missi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job. You drew me in to plight of that mama wolf in these few sentences. And, it leaves me wondering, asking questions. And that's a good thing! Well done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mom!

    Thank you, Teresa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww... I love incorporating nature into stories. Nothing like a man who cares for animals and nature. So glad you joined the Sunday writing team; I'll look forward to more snippets.

    And I do have 'A Heart on Hold' on my looonnngggg TBR file, but I'll get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carmen!! :-) thanks for introducing me to this blog group!

      Delete
  6. Uh oh, this doesn't bode well. Good snippet, Sara. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much drama, 19th century post Civil War style :-) Thanks Siobhan!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like things aren't going to turn out well for the mama wolf. I wonder if Sanderson can find a way to save her? I did wonder if he was trying to fire a warning shot to scare the wolf/soldier, or if he was going to do something more brutal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Clare! Fret not, for Sanderson is very animal friendly :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh noes, my heart is in my throat for the Mama Wolf and wow, half in love with your hero already! Terrific excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm rooting for the mama wolf. Nice snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine! I always root for the animal characters, too! :-)

      Delete
  10. I like the wolves. Why are the soldiers after them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sue Ann! In this scene, Sanderson and Charlotte's voyage across the post-Civil War plains from Arkansas to California is interrupted when Sanderson must visit a renegade Indian tribe to try and negotiate the release of two hostages ... just as Charlotte goes into labor. While negotiating with the Indians, they are attacked by Cavalry soldiers and Sanderson must choose which side to fight with -- and as you can probably imagine this would be quite problematic given the circumstances :-)

      Delete
  11. Holy cow, what a place to stop! Very intriguing. I plan to come back next week :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this glimpse at your story. I'm already intrigued!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me or anyone in the family a comment, we would love to hear from YOU!