Sunday, February 10, 2013

Eight Sentences, Better Late than Never!!


In these 8 sentences, we find ourselves in a Northern Paiute Indian camp with Sanderson, who had come to negotiate the release of some white hostages, only to find the menfolk gone on a hunt and the camp full of women and children.  No sooner does he make this discovery. than the hoofbeats of the Cavalry soldiers draw his attention to the ridge. The hulking Strawberry Moon is his captor.
 
Burning bile rose into Sanderson’s throat as the soldier reined his horse toward the wolf's den. Before the mother, who had risked her own life to save her pups, could reach shelter, the young soldier had his pistol drawn. Sanderson looked away as the familiar sound of the discharged weapon echoed off the rocks.

The yell from behind him sounded somehow disconnected as Sanderson turned, in slow motion, to investigate. A soldier was charging, musket at ready, straight at him. Sanderson patted his sides again, still not finding any means of self-defense. Strawberry Moon’s roar boomed from behind him as he unleashed his lance. It found its mark in the soldier – who would have been Sanderson’s undoing – straight through the gut.

Excerpt from Book 3 of An Everlasting Heart series, A HEART AT HOME, coming from 5 Prince Books, June 2013.

Want to catch up on Sanderson's saga, which began in Arkansas during the Civil War?
Book one, A Heart on Hold is available in both print and digital formats! And so is book two, A Heart Broken!
 
to get back to the Weekend Writing Warriors website, click here!

15 comments:

  1. Wow, there's a lot going on in these 8 sentences! Very powerful.

    Thanks for reading my 8 and commenting. You'd asked if I knew through which tradition my 8 come from, but as far as I'm aware, it isn't from any tribe. There are other parts of my story that are inspired by legends of the Haida, but this one popped into my head from the cosmos. That having been said, I wouldn't be surprised to find a similar story somewhere, bears are a big part of Native lore. Thanks again, for reading my 8, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey A.J.! Loved your 8 ... you are right, there are a lot of bears in Native lore! There's also a smattering of bears in the book this snippet is taken from ... and Native American interests, too :-)

      Delete
  2. Just which side is he on, if any? Thanks for reading mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue Ann! I don't think Sanderson knows at this point either...side with the Indians who kidnapped two children and who subsequently took him in trade for their freedom or the Cavalry soldiers with whom he was a part in the War Between the States but are now attacking a defenseless camp of women and children...?

      Delete
  3. Well done! I'll have to check out the Sanderson series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine!! I look forward to visiting yours again next week :-)

      Delete
  4. Very exciting 8. I like how he is saved by his captive. Poor wolf mama :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare :-) I promise, the story of the mama wolf isn't over :-)

      Delete
  5. You convey so much information in so few sentences. Well done! I was glad to read in the comments that the mama wolf's story isn't over. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! I enjoyed your 8 today! Yes, hopefully I can get to the rest of the wolf story in next Sunday's 8! I may have to go get my post ready right now!!!!

      Delete
  6. That's the kind of captor I'd want to have--one who'll save my life. That soldier deserved it too, for shooting that mama wolf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kate! I agree. That may be what Sanderson is thinking, too, when it comes time to choose sides :-)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful snippet! The wolf ... oh, that got to me. I'm so very sad right now.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me or anyone in the family a comment, we would love to hear from YOU!